Thursday, January 9, 2020

First Newsletter of 2020 and a Personal Teaching Resolution

Happy New Year, beautiful dancers! I'm excited about so many things coming in 2020 (company intention on 1/12, new Sunday class starting on 2/2, a big fundraiser for the company, and of course, season 4 of Sweet Sorrow, A Zombie Ballet!). I put it all in a newsletter which you can have delivered to your very own inbox if you'd prefer to read it there - just click on the browser link below to subscribe. I only send it once a month and I promise I won't spam you.

Before I post that, however, I'd like to talk about a personal resolution I want to make in my teaching:

I will strive to take gendered pronouns and traditional gender norms out of my class.

This will be, I admit, difficult for me. My natural reflex is to greet people as "ladies and gentlemen," to divide groups or partner dancers based on gender, and to identify steps as gendered. I don't mind the reference when it's used with me but that's me and I'm ancient.

However, I am conscious of gendered roles in my choreography and I do what I can (and what fits the story) to not fall prey to the easy nature of stereotypes. For instance, my Rosaline is no frail princess waiting to be rescued by Benvolio; my pointe partnering includes women partnering women; and every woman's role in Hotel at the End of the Universe is a feminist one. I work very hard to empower women, on the stage and in the studio.

I have already begun excising "ladies and gentlemen" to call out my groups, instead saying "dancers" when I can. Just as I ask permission before touching someone in class to make a correction, I will also ask dancers if they prefer a specific pronoun be used with them when it feels appropriate, and I won't assume the answer.

As with all of ballet, the repetition of certain actions on a regular basis soon becomes muscle memory. We do a million tendus so we don't have think of how to do one; similarly, the more often I can refrain from gender norms in my class and choreography, the less cumbersome it will appear - and I will only have to think about what to do with the dancers, not how to address them.

~HAPPY 2020~
View this email in your browser

January 2020 schedule

Classes are all on as usual throughout the entire month. Reminder: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday classes are at Inspire Dance Studio; Tuesday classes are at Live Arts LA. View my full schedule here (scroll to bottom of page).

Fun photos! Above is one of my favorite pictures from the holiday classes this year: Family! At our Christmas Eve class, Monica brought her daughter Taylore, Laila brought her sister Ashna, Patty brought her son Brandon, and Gwen brought her son Nik. Such a magical time to share our ballet community with family members. Thank you! And below are three more: group shots of the Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve classes and Nicole with Blossom in the studio (just because it's cute!).
 

Special notes

Beginning February 2, I will be teaching a NEW CLASS on Sundays: Advanced Beginner Ballet (which is the same level as my Tuesday/Thursday classes) at Inspire Dance Studio. 11AM-12:30PM. (Note: I'm considering adding a 1/2 hour of pointe after. If this is something you'd be interested in, let me know via email or in person.)
 

Featured technique tip!

In one word: LIFT! Tip of the Year 2019

More fun links:
I write book and movie reviews for the amazing website, Dance Advantage. Here is a review about The White Crow which I thought was...well, you'll have to read the review to find out!
 

LPBC News

Company Intention for the 2020 season will be on Sunday, January 12, 12-2PM at Inspire Dance Studio. Everyone is welcome to participate if they would like to be part of the company's 4th season. Please familiarize yourself with our Mission Statement and Membership Requirements. Please also sign up in advance so we have an idea of who is coming. (Note: this is not a technique class per se. While there will be some exercises at the barre and in the center, this is about getting to know everyone and learning what we're all about. Think community rather than class.)

Facebook
Website
Copyright © 2020 Leigh Purtill Ballet, All rights reserved.

No comments: