Nutcracker 2017 Participation Fee

Nutcracker 2017 Participation Fee




Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Poetry by ballerinas for ballerinas

My friend Laura Rogers wrote and read this poem at the West Hollywood Book Fair this weekend. I asked her if she would let me share it with all of you and she graciously said yes.

Enjoy~

Dancing Home

I put on my pointe shoes and tied the ribbons around my ankles. The well-known pressure formed around my toes as I stood and adjusted my skirt. Moving towards the bar, the box of my shoes made a familiar tapping sound on the mahogany dance floor. I placed my hand on the smooth, curved wood of the practice bar, and I was home.

I relevéd, and the stretch in my calves brought on a rush of adrenalin. I couped, frappéd, pas de bourréed: I danced. Stretching my arms over my head in fifth position, I let my fingers form into the soft graceful hand of a ballerina.

I walked into the middle of the room and faced the mirror that was so often my audience. I prepped for a pirouette and then pushed off. When I turn I am a whirlwind, and I sweep away the negative thoughts of the outside world. When I leap I fly and leave everything below me. When I am en pointe I am a giant and nobody can touch me. I am a ballerina, and this is what I do, for this is who I am.

Thank you so much for sharing this, Laura!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. what a beautiful poem.
i am not a ballerina, just another ballet student, but thank you good teacher for helping us be part of this amazing performing art. i shall miss ye tonight, cuz i have a social duty that i am attending tonight.
yes, i would rather be dancing...as bad as i dance, it is my fix, and i totally enjoy it.
love,
--inge

BalletLA said...

Thank you, Inge! I missed you in class last night - hope you had fun wherever you were!

And you ARE a ballerina!

xo leigh