Saturday, May 2, 2020

May 2020 Newsletter



May 2020 schedule

Studio classes are currently suspended while the state is in lockdown until mid-May. You better believe I will shout from the rooftops to let you know when we're allowed back in! In the meantime, please join me every morning at 11AM PST for Your Daily Barre with Leigh, live via YouTube. Each morning I broadcast an hour-long barre+center free of charge. The video is posted on my channel for 24 hours so you can "take" it later if you miss it live. After a day, it becomes unlisted and the next day's video goes up in its place. Here is the schedule:
Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday - beginner level
Monday, Wednesday & Friday - intermediate level
Saturday - beg/int level with pointe/pre-pointe exercises
Donations, if you have the means, or use of your class cards is greatly appreciated.

If you would like access to ALL of the videos, you can pay a monthly subscription of $50. This will allow you to view every video from the current and previous months whenever you want! (e.g. pay for May and get May and April) Please subscribe or donate via my website.

Want more ballet?
Private or group lessons held via Zoom are a great way to get personal feedback and corrections. Contact me to schedule a special class just for you.


Even more ballet: POINTE AT HOME!
Weekly Pointe class is held on Zoom every Saturday at 12:15PM for one hour. Fee is $12. Each week we work on barre exercises and some center phrases, including adagio. Dancers should have a sturdy barre or barre-substitute, as well as a non-slick surface. Please contact me if you are interested!
 


Home studios across the miles!
One positive aspect of the lockdown is the opportunity to connect with dancers I haven't seen in a long time! Last week you saw a home studio photo of Jenny Holland who moved to Chicago. This week I'm happy to feature photos from Ingrid Jackel (below left) and Jennifer Shermer (below right).


Meet some new students!
Say hello to the home studios of three fabulous dancers: Cyla Fisk (below left), Vivian Garcia (below right), and Victoria Chalk (home studio at top of the page). Cyla and Vivian are both first-year members of Leigh Purtill Ballet Company and Victoria is in her first year of ballet.


 
 

Featured link!

This month I was grateful to meet Washington DC-based dance physical therapist, Dr. Danelle Dickson. I hosted her in a live chat via Zoom and some of the LPBC company members joined in to ask questions. Dr. Dee was candid in her comments and thoughtful in her advice. I wish she lived on the West Coast! She is also tremendously generous at this time, offering loads of free advice and addressing so many issues! Take a peek at the video of the chat and read more about her in my blog post.

More fun reads and links:
I've Been Home for a Month - Now What? is my rumination on what it's been like to teach from my living room. Next time I'll be writing about YOUR concerns from home so please share with me so I can address them!
Restez Chez Vous! Avec l'Opera de Paris is a fun look at the dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet in their homes and with their families. And you know I love this music!
 

LPBC News

The Company will not be performing in its typical fashion for the remainder of 2020 but will postpone its traditional theatrical performance of Sweet Sorrow, A Zombie Ballet until Fall 2021. Our planned fundraiser will also be postponed. Instead we will be exploring new and unusual ways to bring you our ballets and showcase our dancers. Could it be a video watch party with a live chat? Maybe! Could it be a virtual immersive event at a SPOOKY location? Maybe! If you know our company, you know we are a creative bunch and we're always looking for FABULOUS ideas to bring ballet to EVERYONE!

Speaking of everyone...we had our first virtual company class a couple of weeks ago and 33 of our beautiful dancers made it. Needless to say, I miss them all so much. Thanks to Avery for this photo which she took while she was sheltering-in-place in Florida!



 
Facebook
Website
Copyright © 2020 Leigh Purtill Ballet, All rights reserved.



No comments: